Yard spotter trucks, also known as terminal tractors, are now a staple equipment in logistics and transportation industries. These trucks are designed to move trailers and containers within a shipping yard or terminal.
When most people talk about yard trucks, Ottawa and Capacity almost immediately come to mind. However, the TICO Pro-Spotter Terminal Tractor is in a class of its own, offering unique features and capabilities that set it apart from competitors.
Founded in 1975, TICO boasts over 40 years of experience and is one of North America’s largest fleet owners and operators. Because of their real-world experience, TICO has first-hand knowledge of how yard spotter trucks are used and the features that make a difference. The innovative design and manufacturing of TICO Pro-Spotter terminal tractors reflect this understanding.
Let’s look at a few ways the TICO terminal tractor stands out from other yard spotter trucks.
One notable feature of a TICO yard spotter truck is its durability. This truck is built to withstand the harsh conditions of a shipping yard.
- It has a large, reinforced composite cab that is corrosion-proof and extra durable to bolster long-term value. On the inside, the truck’s all-metal dash further enhances durability and longevity.
- The Pro-Spotter is made with 100% U.S.-made content with continuous welds to increase the lifespan and minimize flexing.
- With the strongest boom in the industry, it boasts 1 1/2-inch side rails and continuous welds for increased strength. (Boom usually refers to a hydraulic lifting arm mounted on the vehicle.) The operator can use this boom to lift and move heavy cargo or containers within a shipping yard or terminal.
By the looks of it, TICO yard spotter trucks are designed with safety in mind. These trucks come with a variety of safety and ergonomic features.
- It has a massive automatic rear door that spans 27 inches wide and is 66 1/4 inches tall.
- The power-down-and-up driver-side window allows easier and faster operation. The toe guard under the step helps minimize the likelihood of driver slips and falls.
- The external radiator surge tank allows faster and easier servicing. It has a large 65-gallon diesel fuel tank that requires fewer fuel deliveries and reduced costs. It also has patented fuel tank steps to provide easier egress and entry.
- The uniquely positioned bumper offers maximum protection from frontal impacts, while the curbside fender is built to absorb impact. Its cab side rub protection is manufactured from steel and helps mitigate cab damage when maneuvering in tight situations.
- The shut-off valves on the hydraulic tank reduce the need to drain the tank before performing repairs. The air filter and filter minder are easily accessible from the ground level without elevating the cab.
- Cab power distribution centers are situated in the cab and are accessible via the front access panels.
Versatility & Other Features
TICO trucks are also versatile, designed to handle a wide range of trailers and containers. In addition, they come with a range of optional features and accessories.
- Using the boom is simplified, thanks to a joy-stick electronic boom controller. In addition to being easier to use, this controller is more durable than the standard mechanical boom control. It helps reduce maintenance costs and downtime.
- There’s a sliding fifth wheel. (The fifth wheel is a coupling device on the rear of the tractor’s chassis.) The fifth wheel release with trailer interface doesn’t allow fifth wheel jaw locks to be disengaged while the trailer is moving. Disengagement can only be performed while your trailer brakes are set.
- Other optional features include air conditioning, a suspension seat, vibration-canceling technology, and various lighting options.
Renew Truck Services TICO Yard Spotter Trucks
TICO yard spotter trucks come loaded with a comprehensive suite of standard equipment. At a glance, they’re uniquely engineered to save you time and money and increase safety.
Whether you want to purchase a used yard spotter truck, remanufacture your existing terminal tractor, or need general yard truck repairs, Renew Truck is your one-stop shop. As the best yard truck restoration specialists in the U.S., we rebuild and repair various makes and models, including TICO, Kalmar Ottawa, Capacity, and Terberg.
Renew Truck is located at 150 Service Street, New Boston, TX 75570. You can contact us at (903) 231-9002.