When finding a yard spotter truck for sale, there are no one-size-fits-all solutions. The yard truck that works for one warehouse may not meet the needs of a port. Thus, it’s imperative for you to take a strategic approach to find the best spotter truck.
However, the process isn’t easy. Fortunately, the team at Renew Truck can and will help. Don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance finding the perfect yard truck. In the meantime, continue reading for some tips and considerations.
1. Start by Making a Budget for Your Yard Truck
The first step in purchasing any vehicle is to make a budget. It’s the same for finding a yard truck for sale. It’s vital to enter the process with a clear understanding of how much you can afford to spend.
However, the sticker price is only the beginning. You should also factor in:
- What’s the spotter truck’s fuel?
- Will there be storage costs?
- How about regular maintenance?
2. Know Which Features Are a Necessity vs. Nice-to-Have
Before or after creating a budget, you should think through all the features you want and need on your yard spotter truck.
It’s best to jot out all the features and then rank them in importance. This can be extremely important when aligning your wants and needs with your budget.
However, what is vital for one distribution center may be a necessity for a cross-docking terminal. For example, a heating and cooling system may not be negotiable if you work in extremely cold or hot weather.
3. Choose Between New vs. Used Spotter Truck
Your budget will largely determine whether you choose a new vs. used spotter truck. When you select a used yard truck for sale, additional considerations should be made. Here are a few questions and concerns:
- Ask why the spotter truck is being sold. This can help you understand if it has any mechanical issues.
- Perform a vehicle history check. Ask the manufacturer or dealer for the truck’s history, such as oil changes, accidents, and whether the vehicle has undergone any upgrades.
- Ask the seller about parts that have recently been replaced and what will need to be replaced soon. Every repair is important, but you should pay special attention to anything associated with the engine and transmission. Once you know what needs to be replaced, factor these costs into what you’re willing to pay.
4. Diesel vs. Gas vs. Electric Yard Spotter Trucks
Although most yard trucks are diesel, there are other engine options. If you’re in the market for a yard truck, you should consider the pros and cons of each type to make the best decision.
- Diesel yard trucks are the traditional go-to solution. They are known for handling heavy workloads. However, these trucks do have higher maintenance costs and produce large emissions.
- Gas-powered trucks are often cheaper and less powerful. These trucks do not require the same filters used by diesel yard spotter trucks.
- Electric yard dog trucks are the most environment-friendly solution. Such s feature has made them a welcome entrant into the market.
5. Get the Yard Truck You Need for Less with Renew Truck
We get it—finding the best yard truck for your business can be tough and expensive. Fortunately, the team at Renew Truck can and will surely help. In addition to offering used yard trucks for sale, we specialize in remanufacturing and repairing yard trucks.